Career guidance and education is vital in enabling students to make appropriate subject and career choices.
Careers at Marist College Eastwood places emphasis upon providing students with information on the range of pathways available to them in pursuing their desired career, thus helping to reduce HSC and ATAR pressure upon students. This also encourages realistic career choice, which is more likely to lead to job satisfaction and personal fulfilment. It is recognised that Career development is a lifelong process.
The Careers department provides the following services to the students of MCE:
* MCE Careers Website – is a complete website providing information regarding post school pathways and information concerning careers. There is a student secure area, login needed, where students can create resumes and cover letters, complete career activities.
Log onto http://www.mcecareers.com
* Student career interviews in Years 10, 11 and 12. These interviews provide career guidance and information during these important educational years, also helping students to remain focused upon their career goals as they study.
* Individual student interview system for students in all years seeking career advice.
* Publication of important careers information in the College newsletter, on the notice boards in Yr 12 yard, in the Careers Room(Cottage 2), and via a newsletter that all students in Years 10, 11 and 12 receive through their school email.
* Careers advice post trial HSC and HSC for Year 12 students to assist with selection of university preferences, Early Entry and Alternative pathways to UNI, application of scholarships, and completion of TAFE applications
* Regular meetings with Year groups to inform them of relevant career information that comes to hand.
* Work Experience week for Yr 10 prior to subject selections. Assistance with setting up SBAT’s for possible Yr 10 NON ATAR students.
* Presentation of career pathways information at Year 11 subject selection information evenings. Presentation at Yr 12 Information Evening. Mini Careers Expo.
* Advertising positions vacant and assisting students with preparation of letters of application and resumes.
* Mock Interviews are also available for Year 12 students for job preparation.
* Morrisby Profiling Testing is available from Yr 10 at the College
* Yr 10 and Yr 12 attend the Western Sydney SMH Careers Expo.
Students also receive Careers Education as part of their PDHPE program in Years 9 and 10. They do some preliminary career investigation and also prepare their first resume.
The central careers resource is the Careers Room, located in Cottage 2. It is open at recess and lunchtime every day. Tuesday and Wednesdays are the main days for appointments. The Careers Adviser may be contacted via email: email@example.com. Students and parents welcome.
Mrs Colleen Bianchi